The Stenberg brothers, whose father was a Swede and whose mother was a Russian, were both born in Moscow, Russia but remained Swedish citizens until 1933. They first studied engineering, then attended the Stroganov School of Applied Art in Moscow, 1912–17, and subsequently the Moscow Svomas (free studios), where they and other students designed decorations and posters for the first May Daycelebration (1918). 1919, the Stenbergs and comrades founded the OBMOKhU (society of young artists) and participated in its first group exhibition in Moscow in May 1919 and in the exhibitions of 1920, 1921 and 1923. The brothers and Konstantin Medunetskii staged their own "Constructivists" exhibition in January 1922 at the Poets Café Moscow, accompanied by a Constructivist manifesto. Also that year, Vladimir showed his work in the landmark Erste Russische Kunstausstellung (First Russian Art exhibition) held inBerlin. 1920s–30s, they were well established as members of the avant-garde in Moscow and of Moscow’s INKhUK (INstitut KHUdozhestvennoy Kultury, or institute of artistic culture). Other INKhUK members included Alexandr Rodchenko, Varvara Stepanova,Lyubov Popova, Medunetskii, other artists, architects, theoreticians, and art historians. INKhUK was active only 1921–24.
1922–31, the Stenbergs designed sets and costumes for Alexander Tairov‘s Moscow Kamerny (Chamber) theatre and contributed toLEF (art journal of the left front) and to the 1925 "Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes" in Paris. 1929–32, they taught at the Architecture-Construction Institute, Moscow.